A roots balladeer with a rare personal warmth, Canada’s Scott Cook has managed to distill stories collected over a decade of near-incessant touring across Canada, the USA, the UK, Europe, Asia, Australia, and elsewhere into straight-talking, keenly observant verse. He brings humour, a disarming honesty, years of roads, and a deep love of humanity to his songcraft and storytelling.
He is totally at home alone on stage, accompanying himself with fingerstyle guitar and clawhammer banjo. Cook’s songs are true stories set to music, drawing on influences from folk, roots, country, soul, and blues. He has made his living playing music full-time since 2007, and despite all the hard miles, he still believes that songs can change your life, and your life can change the world.
His resume shows a certain commitment to his craft:
- Averaged over 160 shows and a dozen festivals each year for the last ten years.
- Six albums to his credit.
- Performed and showcased at over 800 different venues and over 150 festivals in Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia & Australia.
- 2014 Canadian Folk Music Awards nominee for Best Emerging Artist.
- Won the Folk and Acoustic category in the 2013 UK Songwriting Contest.
- Won Male Artist of the Year at the 2012 Edmonton Music Awards.
- Sold over 7000 albums independently.
- Airplay, live performance and interviews on CBC, CKUA, BBC, ABC & more.
“There’s nothing flash about Canada’s Cook. He sings his heart and ,soul, and in doing so lets light flood into your own… A good eye for ,imagery, a gentle human ,touch, a wry sense of humour, a whole lot of integrity, a warm, rugged voice… Truly one of Woody Guthrie’s children.” –David Burke, R2 Magazine, UK
“One of Canada’s most inspiring and imaginative storytellers… beautifully written lyrics, intricate chordal patterns and a refreshing plain-spoken vocal clarity. Four stars.”- Emily Saxton, Maverick Country, UK
“Scott Cook has distilled his travels down into songs powered by a sharp eye for imagery, a healthy dose of humanity, and that unforgettable voice, that at the same time intones the rigors of the road and the most comfortable couch you have ever slept on.” – David Francey, 3x Juno-winning songwriter.
“Like a conversational bottle of Jack passed around a dawn fire, everything burning just right. ****” – Fish Griwkowsky, SEE Magazine, Canada.
“All tracks are beautifully stripped down and played at a very intimate level that invites the listener in. I am pleased to have discovered this artist of real substance.” – Paul McGee, Lonesome Highway, USA