Devonport Folk Music Club
The Martin Blackman Young Folk Performers Award 2021
The Martin Blackman Young Folk Performers Awards is an open competition to all singers and musicians between the ages of 11 and 18, and is judged and presented each year at the Auckland Folk Festival in memory of the late Martin Blackman.
There are two categories and an award is made in each:
- 11-14 yrs
- 15-18 yrs
To take part in the competition:
- You must confirm your entry by sending an email with your details to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th January 2020.
- You can be a solo performer or group so long as you are within the age category. No adult accompanists will be allowed.
- Songs can be accompanied or unaccompanied.
- Each performer/group will present two items: songs or instrumentals. (These are expected to be in the folk genre).
- You must purchase a ticket and make your own arrangements to attend the festival.
- The performance is scheduled for 12 Noon Saturday 31 January at the Barn, one of the festival venues. You should check the festival programme and updates on this page to confirm this time and place.
- You must be at the Barn 15 minutes before the competition and confirm your attendance and entry.
The winners of the Award will be invited to play their tunes/songs at a concert at 5.30 pm the same evening.
For more information please contact the Secretary to the Devonport Folk Club:
Devonport Folk Music Club,
P. O. Box 32-010,
Devonport, Auckland 0624
Or email: email@example.com
Award was deferred due to other awards being held in Auckland at the same time.
11-14 year Old Junior Category: CASS who are 12 year old Charlotte Bateman & Sofia Roger Williams from Auckland 15-18 year Old Senior Category: 17 year old Mercy Williams from Auckland
11-14 year Old Junior Category: CASS who are 11 year old Charlotte Bateman & Sofia Roger Williams from Auckland 15-18 year Old Senior Category: 16 year old Mercy Williams from Auckland
11-14 year Old Junior Category: 13 year old Phoenix Hamilton
15-18 year Old Senior Category: 16 year old Tim Chia
11-14 year Old Junior Category: was won by Phoenix Hamilton, aged 13 of Auckland. She writes and sings her own songs, and accompanies herself on ukulele.
15-18 year Old Senior Category: was won by Shimna Higgins, aged 16 of Auckland. She sang and played guitar and fiddle.